Fresh start vs old characters (come in)

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

Re: Fresh start vs old characters (come in)

by Devarial » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:54 pm

tijn wrote:Fresh Start is the best option imo.

I have 2 x 60's but I can see that a fresh start is the best option for everyone long term.

Bring on Nostalrius 2.0

As a former Rank 13 (before certain detectives start yelling 'only lvl 30s want old database back!!1' again) I agree with this.

Starting a 'new' era with half of content already completed and with most people being geared to the teeth just feels underwhelming. Mass leveling would not only establish the better social aspect of the server and its economy, you would have a ton shit to do and believe me, after a few months you would be really glad it was a fresh start instead of getting your full T2 character back.

Clean start is a way to go if you want a healthy server long term, because the journey of your character progressing is one of the best and most important things about Vanilla.

Forest wrote:No one who ACTUALLY played on Nost and invested time into their char wants a fresh start.

/Thread

Bullshit :lol:
Devarial
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Arucado » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Clean start is a way to go if you want a healthy server long term, because the journey of your character progressing is one of the best and most important things about Vanilla.

No, i want my char back. As Phyriel stated, making a healthy server long term doesn't mean spending another year doing exactly the same thing, playing another warrior, leveling in the same zones, doing the same quests, farming like a nigger 24/7 for epic mount riding, boes, Lionheart helm, clearing MC/Ony for another 6months and ranking up like a nolife again.

Im sure many were willing to do this because they thought it would last forever. I wouldn't do it again because who tells me the server won't dissapear again when im half epic geared.

I want to keep my progression, i want to clear AQ20 and AQ40, if possible Naxx too.
Arucado
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Horten » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:31 pm

It's a bit early to discuss this when we don't even have a solid confirmation that the Nostalrius team plans to rehost any server.

I can see where those that want a completely fresh start from 1.1 with all characters being wiped come from. However I think it's a bit of a slap in the face for the old players of Nostalrius that have been playing and supporting the project since the start, to go through the same tired period of MC-BWL again with the lingering thought in the back of their mind that they can lose all their progress for a second time.

The old PvP server had a constant flux of new players starting to level even with it being progressed over a year; and with Nost getting more attention this time you will have more than enough new people starting to play here that don't really care about someone having reached level 60 before them.
Now if you open a fresh PvP server while also returning the old PvP server, you effectively funnel every new blood to the new server and you end up like Kronos I with a raidlogging dying 60 population as Koragon already mentioned. So it's either old PvP and PvE server are back OR PvP and PvE server are wiped.

I personally would be reluctant to start again, at the rate the content was released it would take until 2018 to get to the same point as Nost was before it was shut down.
Horten
Private
Private

by Deltogame » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Fresh start for sure!
I miss levling with alot of ppl and go dung 24/7!
People that hate "leveling" can play another game and stop crying.
Leveling = 70% of the game.
Deltogame
Tester

by Allora » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:29 pm

youre all terrible and gonna get owned either wayy

haha own kiddo
Allora - Priest
Karlie - Warlock
Kargan - Hunter

http://youtu.be/H8OxKx6zKkQ
Allora
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by TooStr0nk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Deltogame wrote:Fresh start for sure!

Well if you love leveling so much, you could just do another char. No 1 stops you. Think you got enough character slots for you to get tired of leveling over and over again.
TooStr0nk
Tester

by Rikkisix » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:02 pm

We will need another server, again due to the news of nost alone. A third server will happen, and they can be a great fresh start. Why don't people just roll thier can some one explain the downside to this? we will have numbers in the 20k's if Nost reluanch's.
Also known As Rageheart / Pintero Or the guy who's been hittin on tauren woman since 05?
Rikkisix
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by phyriel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Deltogame wrote:Fresh start for sure!

HAHAHHAHAHAHhahahaha 70 % of the game.... damn u're one hell of a comedian
I dinged 60 in 5 days played. Now lets compare it to rank grind... r13-14 alone = 3 weeks of bracket 1 which on nost was easily 14-20 hours a day based on deals with china... Talking about the few months prior to shutdown. So i'll leave math to you... its just talking about r13 - r14 alone tho, not to mention that if u were a warrior and wanted a spot in one of premade that mattered u needed good pve gear... if u were a warrior and didnt have asscandy u'd be easily replaced. So whatever result u get by following a simple math, add a fair amount of raiding required to get pve stuff.

Anyway this guy just proves the point, ppl that want fresh start are the ones that consider 1-60 a major "70% of the game" struggle :P well done champs u qualify to be retail player that knows nothing about the real vanilla struggle.

Anyway to cut all the bullshit with noobs talking here, if server gets wiped it cease to exist in my eyes. With all due respect and love for the time I spent here, Nost isn't/wasn't good enough to redo all that shit... I know its about the journey but not when u end up 4th time in a row in a same pit stop... and I can assure u that if server gets wiped u'll loose 90% of hardcore players... leaving u subpar casuals that leave at the first occasion.
Last edited by phyriel on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phyriel
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Wreckington » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:31 pm

I'd like to be able to play my old characters.
But I'd also like a fresh server where everyone could level from scratch.
The issue seems rather polarizing with many people arguing on both sides.

So I propose this, why can't we have both?

Consider the following:

The legacy petition got 300k signatures.
A whole lot of those weren't even nost players.
Everything that's happened has generated enormous amounts of publicity for nost.
If nost does come back, there is going to be an enormous surge of traffic.
New players wanting to experience nost, old players coming back, and with all that traffic there will likely be more chinese gold farmers than ever before.
There will probably be more than enough players to fill up 3 servers, a fresh one and the old PvP and PvE servers restored. Hell there will probably be enough traffic to fill 4 or even 5 servers, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

In all honesty, I think it would genuinely be a bad move to cater to only one camp. Not just from the stand point of pleasing the players, but from a logistical perspective.
If nost comes back with just 1 fresh server, or even 2, it is going to be a total nightmare for the first few weeks.
You'll be competing with literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of people in every starting area trying to do your quests.
Imagine 50 man queues for the messenger quest in westfall. Imagine Barrens chat moving so fast you can't even get a word in. It's gonna be pretty crazy. To some, that probably sounds fun. I admit I'd be interested to see how it goes. Others, however, might not be so keen.
If they both bring back the old servers and start up a fresh one, everyone wins. People who want their old characters, their old guilds back get them. People that want to level on an entirely fresh progressive server get that too. People that can level quickly and don't want to wait for progressive raiding can jump straight in at the AQ update. Everybody wins.

That is, if nost is coming back.
Wreckington
Private
Private

by Heldunder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:33 pm

i feel like when/if they came back, they will have a lot more publicity, so they will need more servers. when they come back they should have asian/euro servers ( obviously located in a safe location so they dont have to worry about legal action) but atleast be dedicated to regions. and when you log in you just have to choose which server your stuff gets put on.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion