Warlock or Paladin

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

Warlock or Paladin

by Deloron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:11 pm

I am unsure what to main on the relaunch of Nost. Mainly with well what would be more raid viable, and overall more sought after.
I would like to go Warlock due to the utility, and its Dps though the thing is I do not remember much on soulshards like how many would be required to be effective with Raids, soloing. Since I have been a little bit of a packrat to certain items.
For Paladins has been something I have overall enjoyed since I got the hang of it in Cata. I know Paladin's are not the best tanks, but are good at buffing which i dont mind just buffing and healing as a paladin.

What would be better for soloing, leveling, survivability, gearing, and needed more often in raids. Which is harder? Easier? What should I know going in with both. How viable are Paladin tanks? (I do know Warriors are the best) What are the hinderences and problems I should know as a Paladin Tank. Since with Paladins I am debating between Holy or Prot.
Deloron
Tester

Re: Warlock or Paladin

by Crysthal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:00 pm

Well that's exactly the decision I'll have to make too.

I feel like Soulshard farming isn't that bad and you won't need too many unless you summon half of your raid.
Having a Soulshard bag (usually the ones with 20+ slots) is enough.
You'll lose ~16 Inventory slots compared to a normal class though just for soulshards, besides that you may need space for reagents, healthstones and spell/soulstones.

Paladins on the other hand have 3 different specs with different gear each, so in the worst case you'll collect 3 sets of items and your bags/bank will be packed.

Better for soloing: Warlock (Pala is decent too but as retribution and you'll have to respecc everytime you want to raid etc)

Leveling: Warlock is called the best/fastest leveling class. I only leveled a paladin on Nost and it was super easymode and way faster than my rogue (4d18hrs playtime to 60 without tryharding and 2 professions close to 300)

Survivability are both great. Pala is better to survive burst dmg (hi@ bubble) and warlock has great constant selfheal and fears

gearing : no idea sry

both are mandatory in raids and if you roll alliance warlock is probably in higher demand

Warlock has only few "max dps" specs like sm/ruin but some depend on raidprogress - you'll mainly be spamming shadowbolt and keep a curse up.
Paladin Tanks are mainly viable for dungeons, and at least on nost pve I had never trouble finding a group as a paladin tank (still there were a few guys who did not want to invite me but that's ok) you can Raidtank but it takes a lot of skill and I've no Xp for this prior BC.

Your main problem will be that you have no taunt. If you have a group for a speedrun or generally well geared dps who don't wait a few seconds for you to build up threat you'll have a hard time collecting all those mobs again. Other than that you'll have to watch your mana and depending on your "skill" you'll need mana breaks.

Holy paladin is super easymode for healing and pvp.

Well I would neither call a Holy paladin nor a Warlock difficult to play but both are hard to master especially in PvP. PvE wise it boils down to cooldown and threat management

But as the leveling will take quite some time and from my experience you even find groups as a Ret pala my tip is to go with your heart
Crysthal
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Deloron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Oh is Warlock not as common on alliance?
Deloron
Tester

by Crysthal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 pm

no undead racial fucks alliance warlocks in pvp
Crysthal
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Mage21 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:23 pm

20 soulshards per raid?
Shadowburn in rotation during trash & bosses, you need more then your bags can carry.
Mage21
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to General discussion