What actually happend?

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

What actually happend?

by flowison » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16 pm

I played on nost in 2016 but have quitted before the shut down of the server.

I am still using this super forum, but could not find the reason, why nostalrius has ended.

Can someone tell me the story pls.

Thx guys,
Flow
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: What actually happend?

by Bartooc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Blizzard shut down Nostalrius. They were threatening to take them to court.
Bartooc
Tester

by Tiberias » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Blizzard had the servers confiscated. The servers were located in France and after some time, Blizzard's lawyers managed to have the French law-enforcement to break in and take down all the servers.

A lot of people moved to either TBC or WotLK. The majority of those who wanted to keep playing Classic move to Elysium-Project. But there were some immature drama between the staff members, leading to the creation of yet another new private server.. Light's Hope.

Currently Elysium-Project has about 1k players online while Light's Hope has over 10k. Don't go to Elysium. The owner of Elysium is butthurted that almost everyone left to Light's Hope so he keeps trying to hack the Light's Hope servers and bring them down. Like I said.. immature drama from both sides.
Tiberias
Tester

by Killershama » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Its a very long story, ill try to break it to the parts you should really worry about using links.

https://en.nostalrius.org/#announcement (Part 1) (Front page of the Nostalrius Website)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45663 (Part 2) (Top announcement, under announcements, review of 2017 Blizzcon)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/ ... ual-ticket (Part 3) (World of Warcraft Website, Classic demo is coming!)
Killershama
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Norjak » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Bartooc wrote:Blizzard shut down Nostalrius. They were threatening to take them to court.

Nostalrius received a C&D letter, and they chose to comply & ceased operations.
They also started a petition, and in doing so, they have opened Blizzard's eyes to the possibilities of classic WoW servers.
Norjak
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by UselessPerson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:55 am

It was kinda dick move for blizzard to do that.
UselessPerson
Tester

by Docholy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:24 am

Blizzard got upset a bunch of basement dwellers were able to make a more popular version of retail wow.
https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhaime- ... -community
Why stop at Rank 12 you ask? I ask myself that all the time!
Docholy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Xentro » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 am

UselessPerson wrote:It was kinda dick move for blizzard to do that.

To be honest, they have to. If you do not defend intellectual property you can lose it ( at least according to US law ). If I was blizzard I wouldn't want to lose the warcraft IP over a few thousand neckbeards that still play vanilla.
Laure Human Warlock - Alliance
Xentro
Private
Private

Return to General discussion