TBC pve progression and seasons discussion.

Discussion forum related to TBC Server.

TBC pve progression and seasons discussion.

by Uzephi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:05 am

Now that the forum has an official section for TBC server, let's us discuss how PvE progression should take place. As from what I recall, T5 and T6 were technically available (minus swp) at launch. But it lacked the attunement quests to be accessible, and boss kill issues (until Lady Vashj and Kael were nerfed, they were unkillable for the quest items for T6 attunement). So, how should Nost handle giving PvE progression roll-out? How should PvP seasons work? TBC had 4 seasons if my memory serves correctly.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Re: TBC pve progression and seasons discussion.

by Sethzer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Only Battle for Mt. Hyjal was available from the start of T6 content since Black Temple came with patch 2.1, however no guild in the world managed to beat pre-nerf Kael'Thas in Tempest Keep before patch 2.1 rolled out

Abit of the problem with bosses in T4/T5 in the start that it had a rather huge difficulty gap. Some bosses like High King Maulgar in Gruuls Lair, Void Reaver in TK and most bosses before Lady Vashj in SSC were not that hard to deal with after giving people a few tries to see the encounters, but then you had Hydross whom was very challenging as an opening boss in SSC (mainly due to the bugged resistance in the start, randomly 1shotting fully resistgeared tanks (in correct resistance gear ofc) + very unforgiving mechanic with the phase switches from frost to nature and back).
Al'ar in TK where you either had to sacrifice a team member every meteor (most guilds abused full-raid soulstones back then before blizzard changed it especially for this encounter) or have whole raid stack to split the damage as much as possible and also guilds strugged with killing adds while dps'ing Al'ar at the same time so they just offtanked them and nuked Al'ar before tanks got overrun with adds.
Magtheridon was another boss that had an unforgiving mechanic with the cube-clicking that required top teamplay and coordination, and High Astromancer Solarian with the Arcane debuff mechanic before introducing the bomb mechanic later that forced some players in the raid to wear full arcane-resist gear and stay behind raid to soak and have the debuff jump between them.

Now, TBC is 8-9 years old so with the amount of knowledge, strategies and theorycrafting over the years should make everything easier to deal with, but what I'm more interested in regarding the PvE progression is the change of consumables that was introduced in patch 2.1 with battle and guardian elixirs if we will have that ongoing from the very start or if Nost will be able to change it once they roll 2.1 content (2.1 also buffed tons of existing lv.70 epics as they were undervalued, hence why most top guilds back then was still running in decent amount of T3) versus giving us pre-nerf bosses. There was no forced gating back then since players were new to the content aside from some bosses that got tested on TBC Beta.

Personally having battle/guardian elixirs, pre-buffed Lv.70 epics and pre-nerf bosses in T4/T5 would make raids very interesting despite the content being 8-9 years old.
So I'm also very interested in how Nost will handle the PvE progression roll-out, both mechanic wise and gating wise in terms of attunements or forced gating to "slow down progression".
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Uzephi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:46 pm

That is a good point on the stuff pre-2.1. I will try and gather up a spreadsheet for the nost team to use older gear stats. If anyone else can get boss mechanics numbers in another, I think we may have a great PvE progression idea and data for the Nost team to utilize.

Yeah, unfortunately, besides the gating that was forced, 2.1 and sunwell, there wasn't much content for TBC besides launch content. Never talk about 2.2!
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Basard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:00 am

I hope that they do intend to keep the attunements for Kara, SSC, Hyjal ect. They were only added later to help people with alts and new players get into older raids easier.
Basard
Grunt
Grunt

by Uzephi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:10 am

Basard wrote:I hope that they do intend to keep the attunements for Kara, SSC, Hyjal ect. They were only added later to help people with alts and new players get into older raids easier.

I know they will keep this. Attunements didn't go away until 3.0 iirc
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by chookchan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 am

Sethzer is correct in saying that pretty much all raids were available on launch except for Black Temple (2.1) and SWP (2.4).
Would I prefer having the content gated? Not really, as most of BC's content is designed around having all those raids already released. With all the attunement chains and raid quests that tie into tier 4/5 content, it would be very confusing if tier 5 was disabled early on and half of the attunement chains were broken.

However I am unsure how long it takes Nostalrius to design/release a raid. So if it meant delaying TBC for another 6-12 months to finish SSC/TK/Hyjal then I say gate the content.
Beware Verycoolguy, hired by Mr Stormwind himself to slay the pitiful horde of durotar
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37506
chookchan
Grunt
Grunt

by Basard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:10 am

Uzephi wrote:
Basard wrote:I hope that they do intend to keep the attunements for Kara, SSC, Hyjal ect. They were only added later to help people with alts and new players get into older raids easier.

I'm sure Kara attunement was removed around when BT was released, then SSC and TK around Sunwell.
Last edited by Basard on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basard
Grunt
Grunt

by chookchan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:17 am

Basard wrote:
Uzephi wrote:

I'm sure kara attunement was removed around when BT was released, then SSC and TK around Sunwell.

Karazhan attunement was removed in patch 2.4 (The Sunwell patch).
Black Temple and Hyjal attunements were also removed.
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_2.4.0
However you still needed somebody with the key or a rogue to lockpick the gate to get into Karazhan.
Beware Verycoolguy, hired by Mr Stormwind himself to slay the pitiful horde of durotar
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37506
chookchan
Grunt
Grunt

by Uzephi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:07 am

chookchan wrote:Karazhan attunement was removed in patch 2.4 (The Sunwell patch).
Black Temple and Hyjal attunements were also removed.
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_2.4.0
However you still needed somebody with the key or a rogue to lockpick the gate to get into Karazhan.

Right, now I remember that. I just remember cramming all the attunement quests for Hand of Adal and Champion of the Naaru on my priest before a major content patch came out. Guess it was Sunwell... Or were the titles retired in 3.0? I still remember needing a kara key until 3.0, but I guess you could walk in if someone else opened it for you like you said.

In any event, I will start making the spreadsheet for the quests with quest IDs and the items with Item IDs within the next couple weeks. Any suggestions with proof (webarchive.com or patch notes like you did) to help streamline the making of this spreadsheet is welcome.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by JCarrill0 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:20 pm

With the recent Update to the TBC PTR, players can now choose instant 60, 65, or 70, while only being able to collect Level 60 Pre-TBC gear from the venders
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to TBC Server Specific discussion