Vanilla vs TBC, in world PvPish point of view

Discussion forum related to TBC Server.

Re: Vanilla vs TBC, in world PvPish point of view

by Snowblood » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

WORLD PvP did only exist in vanilla.

TBC killed it with flying mounts + arenas.
Snowblood 60 Ud Mage

« That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death may die »
Snowblood
Private
Private

by The Shortest Path » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Snowblood wrote:WORLD PvP did only exist in vanilla.

No.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Kelorek » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Snowblood wrote:WORLD PvP did only exist in vanilla.

This is just not true.

TBC WILL change the PvP landscape a bit, but there was still tons of world PvP during TBC. With the server population we have on Nostalrius it's going to be absolutely insane too.

Some changes I expect will happen is I think Arena will help to fix the battleground landscape a little bit, you will likely see a large decrease in full hardcore pre-mades and less emphasis on AFK honour farming etc (this will still happen).

edit: Voroshilov I understand your concerns. I don't know how I can convince you otherwise - especially with people claiming other things - but TBC world pvp was still there and it was still great. IMO it was the greatest expansion in all of WoW, at least for PvP. I really don't think many of these people claiming there was no world pvp in TBC actually played TBC, or if they did, they did so on dead servers.

I actually never did like the idea of safe zones at all and id support a non-vanilla change that made Shattrah not a safe area as long as very strong guards were put in the city. However, Shattrah in practice wasn't too much of an issue. Most the time horde or alliance hung out in Origimmar / Ironforge just like now.
Kelorek
Grunt
Grunt

by The Shortest Path » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:58 pm

For real, there was more and better world PvP in Burning Crusade than Vanilla. The two factions share a lot more quest objectives in Outland zones which means much more contest over them, there are more important PvP objectives in non-instanced areas such as Halaa in particular, there are a few extremely competitive grinding areas that most characters will want to be in at some point (Elemental Plateau, Netherdrakes, Ogri'la, Sunwell dailies, etc.)

There is more incentive to fight other players in the world and more friction with other players in the world. Every single zone is like Nesingwary Camp or Hillsbrad was in vanilla.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Kelorek » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:53 pm

The Shortest Path wrote:Elemental Plateau

Elemental Plateau with Nostalrius's population is going to be a scene of permanent carnage.
Kelorek
Grunt
Grunt

by Uzephi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Kelorek wrote:Elemental Plateau with Nostalrius's population is going to be a scene of permanent carnage.

I can't wait :twisted:
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by varth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:19 pm

World pvp was definitely harmed by flying mounts, because all you have to do is mount up and you are safe if you flying straight up from 90% of classes. That being said it's still there and way better than later xpansions.
varth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Uzephi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:35 pm

varth wrote:World pvp was definitely harmed by flying mounts, because all you have to do is mount up and you are safe if you flying straight up from 90% of classes. That being said it's still there and way better than later xpansions.

5sec wait from not doing ANY actions (buffing, healing, etc would reset the timer) to leave PVP combat then the 3 sec cast to fly... by then (8secs min) mostly all CC would be over by then. It does happen, but not often due to the previously stated time constraints. Even Vanish for rogues had a few second wait before the PVP "in combat" flag would go away.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by The Shortest Path » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:01 am

varth wrote:World pvp was definitely harmed by flying mounts, because all you have to do is mount up and you are safe if you flying straight up from 90% of classes. That being said it's still there and way better than later xpansions.

But you can't do anything on a flying mount. Flying mounts are not at all what killed world PvP, lack of incentives and lack of competition/friction are what killed world PvP. Phasing was a huge part of that, but more minor and unnoticed things like faction-segregated quest objectives, lack of grinding in uninstanced zones, and larger zones in general were pretty enormous as well.

Especially when only players at the level cap are able to use a flying mount, and even then most of them are moving slowly. It's not a big deal, there will be tons of world pvp on this server.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by bakedgoods1312 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:52 am

no world pvp does not die with flying mounts at all the thing that killed world pvp was garrison and click to joins. if anything it allows more people to get to areas faster increasing world pvp. world pvp was nuts in tbc and on the crazy pop servers that nost has outland is going to be an outright warzone shatrath will be your safe place
bakedgoods1312
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to TBC Server Specific discussion