Vanilla vs TBC, in world PvPish point of view

Discussion forum related to TBC Server.

Re: Vanilla vs TBC, in world PvPish point of view

by Uzephi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Simonich wrote:Sounds delightful, i had similiar ambitions to have huge battles in places like Halaa! And you meant that your guys started quitting in the middle of wrath?

Yes, each live server had their fallout of wpvpers leaving. It is all about the community and who makes the events. I will say if you try for halaa, I will try and take it back from you ;)
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Simonich » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Uzephi wrote:
Simonich wrote:Sounds delightful, i had similiar ambitions to have huge battles in places like Halaa! And you meant that your guys started quitting in the middle of wrath?

Yes, each live server had their fallout of wpvpers leaving. It is all about the community and who makes the events. I will say if you try for halaa, I will try and take it back from you ;)

Im definetily leaning towards to have my guild move to TBC now, when it releases
Was good to have you all

Hail The Red Dawn <3
Simonich
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Ashix » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Simonich wrote:Hey hey hey flying mounts was just a big con for tbc, nothing else. Personally im only familiar with vanilla, not that much with tbc, so im asking you, does wpvp really die in tbc or do people exagerrate? Is there plenty of wpvp going in tbc that can be at least compared with vanilla? Perhaps the population is to the world-pvp'ers advantage?

Let me rephrase the question, what is better for world pvp? But alongside taking consideration class balance and the entire gameplay in general, even zone style.

The daily areas in TBC will give you plenty of opportunity for world PvP. Skettis was especially good because there were people farming herbs and primal water there.

The ring of blood quest area will have people to PvP with.

Halaa was always heavily contested even on my PvE server back in 2008.

Hellfire Peninsula is a bloodbath even on retail the PvP towers are heavily contested and you will always find some fights there.
Ashix
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Uzephi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Ashix wrote:The daily areas in TBC will give you plenty of opportunity for world PvP. Skettis was especially good because there were people farming herbs and primal water there.

Oh god Skettis! Those damn birds dismounting you then opposing player to finish you off on the ground :'(

Edit: That is another thing. Daze still dismounts a flyer... long fall and might die or an opportunistic opposing player to kill someone with 10% health.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by chookchan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:13 am

Where TBC world PvP really shines is around player-made hotspots.
Personally most of the world PvP happened in Auchindoun;
-It has an arena-style design
-Summoning stone in the center (of 4 dungeons) attracting many players
-Surrounded by capture-point PvP locations

Halaa was probably the most populated PvP objective, but I rarely saw any action in Zangarmarsh.
Hellfire Peninsula was just an all-round gankfest, similar to Hillsbrad foothill in many ways (Horde/Alliance towns in close proximity and always being raided) with the added bonus of a Fel Reaver waltzing by to crash the party.

Flying mounts barely made a difference seeing as cast times were still 3 seconds, and only really had an impact on repeated corpse campers as the victim could resurrect at a distance and fly away.
Beware Verycoolguy, hired by Mr Stormwind himself to slay the pitiful horde of durotar
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37506
chookchan
Grunt
Grunt

by Kelorek » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:41 am

Simonich wrote:so im asking you, does wpvp really die in tbc or do people exagerrate? Is there plenty of wpvp going in tbc that can be at least compared with vanilla? Perhaps the population is to the world-pvp'ers advantage?

TBC does not kill world PvP.

Flying mounts DO kill world PvP in later expansions, but in TBC there was still plenty of PvP on the ground.
Even once everyone started to finish all the tasks that brought them out into the world and put them in harms way for PvP, Isle was released which was a massive PvP hotspot.

TBC era many people still spent time outside of Outlands and that still had plenty of PvP. The capitol cities do not change.

TBC also opened up Arena, which changed the dynamic of WoW pvp forever.

edit: just so you know where I am coming from, I have never ever been a fan of flying mounts and I was dramatically opposed to Draenor being a flying area when it was released on live. I do however believe that, based on my experience, flying was not an issue in TBC.
Kelorek
Grunt
Grunt

by rspct » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:17 am

Flying wont kill wpvp in tbc. there is still alot of places where ppl grind stuff, elemental plateau for example and daily hubs. but if they dont allow "safe spotting" in tbc realm thats gonna be huge dissapointment.
rspct
Grunt
Grunt

by Sharax » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:53 am

My server on retail was still very active in WPvP for WoD.

It really depends on the mindset of players.

Are you here to enjoy the opportunity to engage cross-faction members in a fight or be a carebear suck and fly away when there is a risk of a fight? Will you look for good fights or just look for cheap ganks?

Flying mounts don't kill WPvP. Shit players more interested in farming herbs/whatever without being interrupted by "nuisance" WPvP is what hurts WPvP. We'll see how the Nost population approaches it.
@CharaxS
Sharax
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Melgarh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:09 am

I was on PVE Dragonblight EU server and there was, for first about 6 months, fun WPvP in Hellfire and in Halaa and it was great to join in :D

I'm a PVE carebear but that doesn't mean that we also don't enjoy some epic style city-wide or area-wide battles!
Melgarh
Sergeant
Sergeant

by The Shortest Path » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:05 pm

The way flight was implemented in TBC was not at all hostile to world pvp like it was in later expansions. The world pvp objectives like Halaa helped, but the overall design of where things were and what was contested made it phenomenal.

Besides, if the server population is anything like it is on the vanilla server, you won't be able to step two feet into Hellfire without seeing half a dozen reds. The place is going to be a goddamn bloodbath, especially for the first few weeks.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to TBC Server Specific discussion